Matariki and the New Stars
Matariki and the New Stars is a literary event to celebrate Matariki and encourage young people to share poems they have written.
The event at The Depot Artspace follows a week in which leading poets Robert Sullivan, Ben Brown and Selina Tusitala Marsh held A Million Poems for Matariki workshops for local school students. Workshops are held for students from Northcote College, Westlake Boys High School, Glenfield Intermediate, Devonport Primary and St Leo's School. Some of the students poetry posters went on display at The Depot during its Matariki exhibition.
Leading poets Ben Brown and Selina Tusitala Marsh celebrate the new stars on our literary horizon this special celebration event, which also features Bradford Haami speaking about the stars and their significance. Bradford Haami was the 2010 Maori writer in residence at the Michael King Writers' Centre and Ben Brown holds the 2011 residency.
♦♦ Here are some photos from this event. Please go to the Gallery to see more photos.
- The Butcher and The Bear
08 October 2011
- Daughters of Heaven
06 October 2011
- Creating Stories from History: Heritage Festival open afternoon at the MKWC
25 September 2011
- Michelanne Forster in unruly tandem with Paul Barrett
11 September 2011
- Matariki and the New Stars
12 June 2011
- Matariki: Exploring Our Stories
04 June 2011
- Hatch raises funds for the Writers' Centre
30 May 2011
- Launch of Devonport: A Diary by Bill Direen
22 May 2011
- Peter Simpson and the Art of Fine Publishing
19 May 2011
- An afternoon with Arthur Meek - an NZ Book Month event
06 March 2011