Edward Bartley, Architect
Edward Bartley (1839 – 1919)
Edward Bartley was born in the Channel Islands in 1839 and emigrated to New Zealand with his family in 1854. Trained as a carpenter and joiner, he worked as a builder when he arrived in the colony. In 1872, he went into partnership with another builder, forming Matthews & Bartley, Builders.
He moved to the North Shore in 1872, later building his own home in Victoria Road, Devonport. He became a prominent Devonport resident and was active in local politics.
His interest in architecture grew and he took on more architectural work.
During his long career he served as architect to the Anglican Church, the Auckland Savings Bank and the Auckland Hospital & Charitable Aid Board.
By the time he was asked to supervise the construction of St Matthew's in the City in 1901, he had already designed more than 20 churches for various denominations. These included Holy Trinity Church in Devonport. He also built houses and commercial buildings. Today his most familiar designs are the Jewish Synagogue (Princes Street), St John’s in Ponsonby, the ASB in Queen Street and the Blind Institute Building in Parnell. His work is found from Whangarei to Cambridge.