Chris Cole Catley Writing Awards 2015
The Michael King Young Writers Programme invites entries for the 2015 Chris Cole Catley Writing Awards.
The Chris Cole Catley Writing Awards are open to all senior secondary students (Years 11, 12 and 13) across the Auckland region, with prizes for poetry and prose. Entries close on Wednesday October 14.
Winners will receive a $150 cash prize, plus a selection of books.
All entries will be considered for inclusion in Signals, the literary journal for young writers published annually by the Michael King Writers’ Centre. The winners of the awards will be announced at the launch of Signals 2015 at the National Library on December 5.
The awards are named in memory of Dame Chris Cole Catley, a pioneering journalist, author and publisher, who mentored many writers and journalists during her long career. She was a life-long friend of Michael King, a founding trustee of the Michael King Writers’ Centre and she established the centre’s first workshops for young writers. The Young Writers Programme, now in its fourth year, is offered thanks to funding from Creative New Zealand and the Joyce Fisher Charitable Trust.
- Entrants may submit one piece of prose up to 1200 words
and/or one poem up of to 40 lines
- All pieces will be considered for the YWP’s journal Signals as well as for the competition
- Entry gives the YWP right of publication with minor editing rights
- Entrants must be under 25 years of age
- Entries must not have been published elsewhere or have won/placed in any other competition
- Entrants must submit their own work – teachers/parents may not submit it for them.
- Entrants don’t have to have attended one of our workshops or master classes.
How to enter:
Email your poem and/or piece of prose to: email@example.com as a Word document. Write “Chris Cole Catley Competition” in the subject line of your email.
The competition is anonymous: Do not put your name on the document and please follow these steps.
1. Write the piece’s title only as a header at the top of each page
2. Write the title of your story/poem, your name, postal address, email, phone number, school and year group in the body of the email. (This is how we find out who the winner is and how to contact him/her).
Deadline 14 October 2015
Chris Cole Catley Awards 2015